Home > Houston Car Accident Lawyers
Houston Car Accident Lawyers
Were you injured in a car accident in Houston, TX? Was a negligent driver responsible for the crash? You could be entitled to substantial compensation for your medical expenses, other financial losses, pain, and suffering. A Houston car accident lawyer at Zehl & Associates Injury & Accident Lawyers can help you get justice. Call us today at (888) 603-3636
Our undefeated, record-setting legal team has decades of combined experience in personal injury law. We have recovered billions for injured clients throughout Texas, including some of the largest settlements and verdicts in state history. We are ready to put the weight of our experience and success behind your claim.
Contact us to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our Texas car accident attorneys. We are standing by to help.
Our Undefeated Houston Car Accident Attorneys At Zehl & Associates Set Records
Zehl & Associates is known for obtaining record-setting, high-value verdicts and settlements. We focus our practice exclusively on personal injury cases.
Our Houston personal injury lawyers recovered billions in compensation for injured clients — setting us apart as the gold standard in Texas personal injury law. We provide each of our clients with comprehensive representation from start to finish, and our knowledge of local courts, procedures, and rules is virtually unmatched.
We frequently recover six-, seven-, and even eight-figure verdicts in cases involving motor vehicle accidents. Here is a highlight of some of our record-setting awards over the years:
- $32 Million Settlement for clients struck by an 18-wheeler.
- $23.5 Million Settlement for wrongful death case involving a commercial vehicle.
- $20 Million Settlement for a case involving a fatal truck accident.
- $12.1 Million Settlement for client injured in a commercial truck accident.
- $11 Million Settlement for clients injured in a bus collision.
- $6 Million Settlement for a bus accident claim.
Our record of success speaks for itself. We know how to get our clients the money they deserve after an auto accident; you can view client testimonials here. We won’t let insurance companies get away with undervaluing your damages or blaming you for your accident — and they know it.
Contact us to schedule a free consultation to see how our undefeated legal advocates can help you after your crash.
Table of Contents
- Why Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
- How Much Is My Houston Car Accident Case Worth?
- When Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
- Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer After a Car Crash in Houston?
- What Should I Do After A Car Accident In Houston?
- Most Common Causes of Car Accidents
- Is Texas an At-Fault or No-Fault State?
- Can I Recover Damages If I Was Partly At Fault For My Houston Car Accident?
- Do I Have To Prove Negligence if I File a Lawsuit in Houston?
- How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit in Texas?
- What Types of Damages Are Available After a Car Accident in Houston?
- Types of Car Accident Claims We Handle
- Will My Case Go To Trial?
- Who Could Be Liable For My Injuries Resulting From A Car Wreck?
- Common Car Accident Injuries
- Contact Our Undefeated Car Accident Lawyers Today for a Free Consultation
Why Should I Hire a Houston Car Accident Lawyer?
A car accident lawyer in Houston can be your biggest asset during your personal injury case. On the other side of most claims lies an insurance company.
The insurance company is not on your side. In fact, they will use their vast resources and teams of attorneys, adjusters, and investigators to determine how they can minimize the value of your claim. We have seen it time and time again.
You need a legal professional with years of experience who can look out for your best interests and protect you from underhanded insurance company tactics. Studies have shown that hiring an injury lawyer can help an injured client receive up to 3x more compensation for their personal injury claim.
Zehl & Associates has a 100% success rate in cases involving car accidents. We have won billions against insurance companies and other corporate defendants. When you hire us, we will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident so that we can determine your best course of action.
We know how to increase the value of your case and ensure you get the maximum compensation award you’re entitled to. Get in touch with us to learn how our record-setting law firm can assist you.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Car Accident Attorney?
Most car accident attorneys in Houston work on a contingency fee basis. Under this arrangement, you do not pay any upfront fees or retainers to hire your lawyer.
Instead, you only pay attorney fees if your lawyer recovers a car accident injury award or verdict on your behalf.
If your lawyer is successful, they will take a pre-agreed-upon percentage of your award as payment for the representation (typically between 33% and 40%). If they are unsuccessful, you will not owe any fees. Contingency fee arrangements keep quality representation affordable for individuals and people who may be dealing with numerous expenses and losses after an accident.
Most injury law firms provide free case evaluations to help you understand your rights after an accident. The financial risk of seeking legal help is minimal. Give Zehl & Associates a call to learn more about how we can help with your particular situation.
How Much Is My Houston Car Accident Injury Case Worth?
The value of your Texas auto collision case will depend on many different factors. No other case can perfectly predict its worth, as the specific details of your situation will help determine the calculation.
The following factors will be relevant to your case value:
- The cost of your medical bills (past and future)
- The income you’ve lost
- Whether you’ve suffered a diminished earning capacity
- The pain you’ve experienced
- Available insurance coverage
- Whether you share fault for the accident
- The strength of your evidence
The best way to get an idea of your claim’s value is to contact an experienced attorney.
Zehl & Associates offers free consultations. We have an unparalleled history of handling cases based on a car accident injury. Contact us to understand more about your case value and how we can help you obtain the most from your claim.
When Should I Hire a Car Accident Attorney?
Not every injury case requires help from a lawyer. For example, if your crash involves no injuries and only minor property damage (like a light scratch to the body of your vehicle), you may be able to file a claim for compensation.
However, in almost every other circumstance, you will likely benefit from hiring a legal professional as soon as possible after your crash. An attorney will:
- Navigate the personal injury claims process and ensure you don’t make mistakes early on in the legal process that could hurt your claim down the line.
- Work on the details of your claim while you prioritize your recovery. You will need time to get better. Your attorney will fight for your case, negotiate with the insurance company, handle deadlines and all related matters.
We have a 100% success rate and have a proven track record of maximizing the value of injury claims and insurance claims.
We offer free consultations. Contact our Houston, Texas car accident attorneys to schedule your case review with one of our top-rated attorneys.
Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer After a Car Crash in Houston?
Not without getting legal advice first. The insurance company involved in your case wants to settle your claim for as little as possible or even outright deny it.
As a result, their offer is, in all likelihood, for much less than what your claim is actually worth.
It often takes several rounds of negotiation to arrive at an agreement that accurately reflects all of your losses, both economic and non-economic. Insurance adjusters are trained negotiators, and they will use many tactics designed to limit their liability. Note as well that you should not agree to give a recorded statement to an insurance company without seeking legal cousel.
Fortunately, our attorneys are highly skilled negotiators as well. We have recovered some of the highest accident settlements in Texas history — many of these settlements involved insurance coverage. We are ready to put our negotiating skills to work.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Houston?
The moments after a car accident injury can be overwhelming. However, it’s important to remain calm at the scene and take certain steps to protect your health — and the potential success of your injury claim or insurance claim.
After a motor vehicle accident, you should take the following actions:
- Remain near the accident scene and move to safety. Make sure you are safe and out of the way of outcoming traffic. Check yourself for harm and check on the occupants of the other vehicle if possible. Also, ensure you don’t leave the scene to avoid any hit-and-run repercussions.
- Call 911. Texas law requires drivers to report the accident to 911 if it involves injury, death, or significant property damage. When you call 911, a dispatcher will send law enforcement officers and EMS (if necessary for medical care) to the scene. A police officer will complete an investigation and accident report containing details about the crash. This police report may provide good information for your insurance claims later on.
- Exchange contact information. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver while you wait for responding officers to arrive on the scene. You may also need the license plate numbers of the cars involved. You will need this information when you file your injury claim. You should also swap contact information with any witnesses, but make sure you don’t apologize, accept blame for the crash, and don’t talk to the other party’s insurance company without consulting a lawyer first.
- Seek medical attention. It’s a good idea to seek prompt medical attention after your accident — even if you don’t think you are hurt. You may have hidden injuries that require diagnosis and treatment. You can visit the hospital in an ambulance or follow up with your healthcare provider. Seeking quick medical treatment will put you on the path to the quickest recovery and prevent insurance companies from claiming you failed to mitigate your damages.
Last but not least, we recommend that you find an experienced car accident attorney to help you understand your rights and legal options after your crash. The undefeated team at Zehl & Associates is available to support. Give us a call or contact us online to get our 100% success rate behind your case.
Most Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents occur for many different reasons. According to 2022 statistics from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), the following were the most common contributing factors of statewide accidents:
- Distracted driving accident or driver inattention
- Unsafe lane changes
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Following too closely (tailgating)
- Merging into other lanes of traffic
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (drunk driving)
- Making an improper or unsafe turn
- Not paying attention to a stop sign or traffic light
- Road rage
- Driver fatigue or falling asleep at the wheel
- Unsafe passing
- Weather conditions
- Impaired visibility
- Poorly maintained roads by the city
Distracted and drunk driving account for some of the leading causes of fatalities resulting from Texas collisions. However, any type of reckless driving behavior or carelessness behind the wheel could lead to severe traffic accidents.
Is Texas an At-Fault or No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
Most states have either “at-fault” or “no-fault” systems for car accidents.
In a “no-fault” system, those involved in crashes must generally turn to their own insurance coverage for needed compensation. There are exceptions, but usually only for accidents involving serious injuries.
Conversely, in an “at-fault” system, injured motorists can proceed with legal action against the person responsible for their accident (normally, by filing a third-party insurance claim). This can be done regardless of how severe or minor the collision was.
Texas is an “at-fault” state. After an accident, you have the ability to pursue a compensation claim directly against the responsible party’s insurance policy and available coverage. You also have the option of filing a personal injury lawsuit against them.
Can I Recover Damages if I Was Partly at Fault for My Houston Car Accident?
It depends. Under the state’s modified comparative negligence law, people who share partial blame are assigned a percentage of fault.
That means if the percentage exceeds 50%, they are barred from recovering compensation from another at-fault party.
However, you can receive a proportionally reduced award if your share of responsibility is 50% or lower. For example, assume that a court decides you’re 40% to blame for an auto accident. The other driver would only owe you 60% of your losses to account for your role in the crash.
Note that insurers and other drivers may try to shift liability to you, even if they can’t prove it. They will do this to minimize the amount of compensation awarded to you. Don’t take their word for it; seek legal guidance as soon as possible to protect your right to maximum compensation.
Do I Have To Prove Negligence if I File a Car Accident Lawsuit in Houston?
Most likely, yes. Most car crash lawsuits are based on negligence. It occurs when one person violates an applicable duty of care to another person, causing them harm as a result.
If you file a suit based on negligence, you (as the injured victim) will be the plaintiff in the case. You’ll have to prove the four elements:
- Duty: the defendant owed you a duty of care (everyone must obey state and local driving laws).
- Breach: the at-fault party failed to act reasonably and breached that duty (they were texting and driving or drunk driving).
- Causation: the defendant’s actions were the cause of your injuries (you were rear-ended at a traffic light because the driver was distracted, causing you to get hurt)
- Damages: you have suffered harm from your injuries, such as medical expenses, lost wages for hours missed at work, emotional harm, etc.
To win your case, you will generally need to prove each element of negligence “by a preponderance of the evidence.” Evidence that may be needed for a strong claim include:
- Medical records
- Eyewitness testimony
- Expert analysis
- Financial records
- Pictures and video footage
Our experienced team can help you find the available evidence in support of your case while you focus on your medical recovery.
Note that not all injury litigation relies on negligence. For example, if your crash was caused by a defective part or machinery, you might be able to file a product liability lawsuit. These lawsuits are often based on strict liability, which is a different legal theory.
How Long Do I Have To File a Car Accident Lawsuit in Houston?
Texas law typically gives you two years to initiate a car accident suit, with some exceptions. The clock starts running on the date of the collision (or the date of death if you’re filing a wrongful death claim after losing a loved one in a fatal crash).
We recommend speaking with an experienced Houston car accident attorney as soon as possible. If you miss the statute of limitations that applies to your case and don’t file your claim on time, you’ll forfeit your right to recover compensatory damages.
What Types of Damages Are Available After a Car Accident in Texas?
If you have a car accident claim in Houston Texas, you may be entitled to various forms of compensation, depending on the circumstances of your collision. The at-fault person may have to pay for both the financial and non-financial consequences related to your crash.
Economic damages are related to the auto accident and injuries, such as:
- Your medical bills
- Future medical costs
- Reasonable out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage to your vehicle and personal belongings
They are typically provable using receipts, statements, and other documentation. However, calculating future medical costs and lost wages may require help from an expert witness.
Non-economic damages aren’t as easily quantifiable because they are highly unique to each victim; they might include:
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Physical impairment or disability
- Reduced quality of life
These damages account for the personal, intangible harms that might impact you due to an auto accident. Keep in mind that your emotional trauma can be as harmful as physical injuries and might also need a short or long-term recovery. Money may not undo the toll of this harm, especially if it will go on for a long time, but it can help you rebuild your life and find the help you need.
How Do Courts in Texas Evaluate Pain and Suffering Damages?
Pain and suffering damages are an important component of your overall award for your case. Specifically, they are one of the major categories of non-economic damages.
Non-economic damages aren’t easy to convert into a dollar figure. Texas courts are not required to use any particular method for evaluating non-economic losses. However, most will likely utilize one of the following two methods:
- Multiplier Method: With this framework, the court will select a multiplier between 1.5 and 5, based on the severity of your injuries. From there, the court will multiply your economic damages number by the chosen figure.
- Per Diem (Per Day) Method: Under this technique, a dollar value is selected to represent the pain experienced on an average day. From there, this amount is multiplied by the total number of days that you will endure the harm.
Most often, the per diem method is only used for cases involving a relatively short recovery period. For the majority of car accidents, especially those that involve severe injuries, the multiplier method will likely be used instead.
Though rare, a Texas court may determine that punitive (or exemplary) damages are warranted in your case. These serve to punish the defendant for particularly malicious or grossly negligent conduct (such as extreme drunk driving, potentially).
Zehl & Associates takes pride in pursuing full compensation for every type of damage and loss our clients experience. It’s why we have recovered billions and why our firm continues to obtain record-setting awards. Contact us for more information about the services we provide or if you have any questions.
Types of Car Accident Claims We Handle
The record-setting lawyers at Zehl & Associates can help after any type of traffic collision you may be involved in. We have experience handling — and winning — all types of motor vehicle accident cases, such as:
Rollover Car Accidents
A rollover accident often involves SUVs and other top-heavy vehicles. However, smaller cars are also at risk of these rollover accidents. Our Houston rollover accident lawyers can determine who’s responsible for your damages, whether it’s the manufacturer of a defectively designed automobile or a government entity for negligent road maintenance.
Rear-End Car Accidents
Rear-end accidents have the potential to cause a lot of property damage and severe injuries, especially when high speeds are involved. Most times, these dangerous crashes result from tailgating, distracted driving, or speeding. Our Houston rear-end crash lawyers can help you hold the at-fault driver accountable for your crash.
Fatal Car Accidents
A fatal car crash can turn a family upside down, resulting in psychological trauma and financial strain. If a loved one was killed in an accident, our firmcan help you hold the negligent or reckless person responsible for your family’s losses.
Head-On Car Accidents
People involved in head-on collisions often sustain permanent, catastrophic injuries with life-altering effects. If someone else caused your accident, our Houston head-on collision lawyers will work to hold them accountable for the full extent of your damages.
Many dangerous high ways cross through the city of Houston, including I-10, I-45, and US-290. Accidents on these and other high-speed roads can lead to devastating destruction and harm. Our Houston highway crash lawyers can investigate your collision, even if it involves multiple parties. We will work to get you fairly compensated.
Single-Vehicle Car Accidents
Many people believe that you can’t recover compensation if you were involved in a single-vehicle crash. However, that’s not always accurate. A government agency may be liable for an unreasonably hazardous road defect, or a defective auto part may have contributed to the incident. Our Houston single-vehicle accident attorneys will get to the bottom of it.
Our team is undefeated in car accident cases. We are ready to help you obtain the top compensation you deserve for your case, no matter why it occurred. Other kinds of car accidents we can help with include drunk driving accidents, hit and run accidents, any driving accident, bicycle and pedestrian accidents, motorcycle accidents and many more.
All things considered, we are here to help you move forward after a car wreck as best we can. Have any further questions? Contact our top-rated law office to take advantage of a free case evaluation
Will My Car Accident Case Go To Trial?
Many car crash cases settle through negotiations outside of court. However, your case may go to trial if a fair settlement agreement cannot be reached.
Initial offers are often too low and fail to cover the full extent of damages.
When the opposing party refuses to settle for the true value of your claim, a trial may be necessary. Initiating a lawsuit can help insurance companies and defense attorneys take your case more seriously. Your case could also still be settled after a suit begins and discovery occurs.
In such instances, you’ll want an experienced trial lawyer on your side. A lawyer with a courtroom background can develop litigation strategies designed to maximize the value of your claim.
Zehl & Associates has had unmatched success in the courtroom, obtaining record-setting court verdicts. Contact our award-winning legal professionals to learn more about your legal options after a car crash.
Who Could Be Liable for My Injuries Resulting From a Car Wreck?
In Texas, any party who causes your injuries resulting from a car crash can be held accountable for the resulting financial fallout.
The following parties could be named as defendants in your case:
- Employers of negligent drivers
- Transit companies
- Trucking companies
- City or state governmental agencies
A Houston car accident attorneya can help you identify the negligent individuals in your collision; we have been doing so successfully for many years. That means our undefeated law office is ready to hold all parties fully accountable.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can have devastating consequences, including life-altering injuries for pedestrians, motorists, cyclists, and passengers.
The most common injuries include the following:
- Broken bone or bones
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Burn injuries
- Chest injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
If you are involved in a car wreck in Houston or a nearby city, seek medical care immediately. Doing so can help prevent your condition from worsening and help with a subsequent accident injury claim.
Our law office has extensive experience handling claims involving all kinds of injuries. We have recovered numerous record-setting awards for fatal and catastrophic injury cases. If you’ve been injured in a car crash, contact us for help.
Contact Our Undefeated Houston Car Accident Lawyers Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one were injured in a Houston car accident, you deserve to be compensated. You also deserve top-notch legal representation that can help you get the result you’re entitled to. The record-setting team at Zehl & Associates is here to help you every step of the way.
Our undefeated Houston car accident attorneys have helped our clients recover billions of dollars in compensation, including winning the state’s most lucrative verdicts and settlements. If you choose us to represent you, we will work just as hard on your case.
Remember as well that, with our contingent fee payment structure, we only get paid for our legal services if we secure compensation for you.
Contact us today by reaching out online or giving us a call at (888) 603-3636. Your initial consultation is free of charge.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Fill Out the Form Below for a Free Case Review with our Undefeated Personal Injury Lawyers