Southeast Texas motorists are all too familiar with the challenges facing drivers in and around Houston.
But many might not be aware that one of the nation’s most dangerous highways runs right through the Metro Region — Interstate 45 from Dallas to Galveston.
260 Motorist Died Along I-45 Through Houston in Just 3 Years
According to data compiled by fleet manager Teletrac Navman, 260 people died along that 285-mile stretch of I-45 from 2016 through 2019. That’s .913 fatalities per mile. The company’s study also revealed that:
- October is the most dangerous month to be on I-45 through Houston.
- The most dangerous day of the month was the 2nd.
- Saturday was the most dangerous day of the week.
- The most dangerous hour of the day was between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m.
The study, which was based on statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, named Interstate 4 in Florida as the nation’s #1 deadliest highway. In fact, four interstates that run through Florida landed in the group’s top ten.
3 Texas Highways Among Nation’s 25 Deadliest
Several other Texas roadways ranked among the top 25:
- I-30 from Aledo through Dallas on the way to North Little Rock, Arkansas, was the nation’s seventh deadliest highway, with .646 fatalities per mile.
- I-35 West from Hillsboro through Fort Worth on the way to Denton, Texas saw .528 deaths per mile, enough to place that stretch of highway at number 19.
- Dallas drivers on their way to Jacksonville, Texas, via State Road 175 are traveling the nation’s 24th deadliest road, with .443 fatalities per mile.
“There have been significant technological improvements to automobiles, greater vehicle and driver connectivity, and heightened awareness around safety standards, but we continue to see significant road fatalities,” said Ben Williams, director of marketing, digital, and analytics for Teletrac Navman. “This study highlights the need for all drivers – passenger and commercial – to continue to stay vigilant to protect people on the roads.”
This isn’t the first study to confirm Texas as dangerous territory for motorists. In fact, the state recently ranked first in fatalities caused by wrong-way drivers and distracted driving deaths.
Texas also consistently leads the nation in truck and 18-wheeler accident fatalities.
Call 1-888-603-3636 or Click Here for a Free Consult with Our Undefeated Houston Accident Lawyers
Our Undefeated Houston Accident Lawyers have won billions for crash victims across Texas and throughout the United States, ensuring our clients have the financial resources to access the best medical care available and to continue providing for themselves and their families for the rest of their lives.
If you or a loved one were hurt in a car, truck, or 18-wheeler accident, please call 1-888-603-3636, use the “chat” button on our homepage, or click here to send us a confidential email through our “Contact Us” form.
Your consultation is free, and because we only represent clients for a contingency fee, you won’t pay us a dime unless we win your case.